Success in work and independent living is dependent upon the acquisition of basic living skills.
All Vista staff members work as a team of service providers in various roles throughout the day to improve students’ social skills and life skills. Instruction occurs in interactive classroom-based groups, real life settings, and individually. Students are evaluated on Vista’s functional skills model and are provided with individualized training in the following areas:
- Money Management (use of a checking account, use of currency, and maintaining a budget)
- Travel (walking in the community, biking, and use of public transportation)
- Time Management (use of a weekly schedule, structuring free time, and planning ahead)
- Self Care (healthy habits and systems to accomplish daily self-care activities)
- Household Management: (completing chores, keeping bedrooms and shared living spaces organized, training on emergency and safety procedures)
- Medication Management (keeping a healthcare schedule, training systems for independently taking prescriptions and other medications) Vista does not administer medications.
- Food Management (planning and preparing basic recipes, eating across food groups and utilizing portion control at every meal)
The theme of Wellness is included across all programming areas and promotes “eating well, thinking well, and moving well”.